Friday 20 September 2013

Project title: War Child

W a r  C h i l d

Unit 96 & 97: Human scale design & Product design 

In order to complete this project I would have to produce a range of diverse design ideas for children living in conflict zones. To do this I will focus my ideas around the problems that the children in these war zones may face and some of the troubles that my client, war child, may have in trying to amend certain issues. To do this I will base my product around one specific problem facing many of the children in these societies. War Child is a charity that provides help to children who are affected by war all around the world.

 The main aim of this project is to design around the human scale and to use anthropometrical data to inform ergonomic design ideas. Our designs have to be functional, original, innovative, eye-catching and exciting. I need to investigate anthropometrical data and ergonomic features and refine them to produce a range of design ideas then to develop a suitable outcome for a specific user (Children affected by war). Materials, processes and manufacturing will be things I will have to consider during the design process. As well as these things, I have to produce a final product and model.
It may be argued that this project has its constraints as war child is a charity based company, relying completely on public donation; therefore cost is a major issue when purchasing materials and shipping as funding is limited. The material used in my final product has to be practical. Durable and cost effective materials and processes are a main focus of my product. 
Having identified what the project consisted of, I decided to find out ways in which I could help my clients resolve any problems they may be facing. The main problem areas I focused on are Transport, Displacement and Privacy. These are realistic problems for the children affected by war in developing countries that I believe I can help with directly. I believed that transport, displacement and privacy were I major problem facing war child as I read through the convention on the rights of children, created by the United Nations. A key aspect I focused on was the idea that ‘children have the right to privacy as well as a healthy living environment’. I have taken an interest into the living conditions of these children as they contrast with the conditions we live in here in Britain, and I believe that all children are equally   entitled to a safe and healthy life, regardless of poor conditions of the country.
In certain parts of Africa and Asia, transportation is extremely limited. Families lack transport of any kind, however it is needed in many cases, for instance, gathering food, transportation to hospitals and collection of clean water and medical supplies. A lot of the times, these destinations are at a distance. Journeys are carried out by foot and can often cause extreme fatigue, pain and dehydration, particularly for young malnourished children.
Due to the vast amount of war that occurs in these countries, families with young children are forced to flee their homes and forced to search for nearby refugee camps. This problem is a major issue In Syria. Families have been split due to illness and death on these long walks and children have been left to fend for themselves and younger siblings.
After looking at the problems and rights of children that war child focus on, I aim to produce a product that helps in the best way possible. 
My product was created to help the user in a number of ways. Shelter and privacy is just one of the advantages that it holds, it can sleep one fully grown child. It provides a private place for them to rest and feel safe in. Transportation is another clear function of my design. It will help to transport food, water and other necessary supplies that families may need, as well as the transportation of children when needed.

The ergonomic features of the design are most important. I have applied anthropometrics to almost every aspect of the finished product as human scale design and ergonomics are key features. Specific ergonomic features such as the height of the pulling mechanism that is adjustable to suit the height of the user, this will reduce muscle fatigue and pain. The shape of the pulling mechanism handle has been designed to fit human hands of all ages therefor it is universal. The length and width of my product when the fold out board is open has been adapted to suit children age from 2-10 years old. 




No comments:

Post a Comment