Tuesday 24 September 2013

Intail inspiration: Digital scuplture

Digital Orca by Douglas Coupland 

This Sculpture is the most digital I could find as is looks like mega-pixels. I am intrigued to make a sculpture that uses coloured blocks, almost like Lego but with less structural attaching. This object could easily be produced using the 3D as the shapes are simple so there would be little room for error, then painted or sprayed with suitable colours. I could maybe go onto to develop ideas using this technique with more natural forms like plants and trees.
 

Sit Stay by Ted Lott

 
This design is called 'Sit Stay' by Ted Lott. It is a chair that has been transformed into an architectural structure. I'm really inspired by the way he has woven in a structure around a functional object and I would love to experiment with this feature. I would have to be carful not to use a chair in my design as this would be clearly copying it. However I could use other functional objects for example cutlery and produce structures around them. Instead of hand cutting the wooden components I could laser cut and pin them together and also down size the design so it could work in a number of more spaces e.g. table pieces or wall mounted objects.

 

 

Paper Sculptures - Richard Sweeney

This sculpture by Richard Sweeney inspires by the complexity and weightlessness of the object. It is made by using paper which is a 2 dimensional object and has create a very complex 3D object. This interests me as it challenges the properties of materials and leaves room for lots of experimentation. Copying this design is different to copying the one above as you cannot protect someone from produces a 3D paper sculpture, however the forms and shapes of the design are not to be copied directly. If I were to produce a piece similar to this I would try and create my own complex object using the 3D printer as it allows me to create such shapes.
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment