Wednesday 18 September 2013

Project title: Exploring the concept of 'folding' in design craft

This project was completed as a part of my subsidiary diploma in the first year of my course. The brief was to explore the concept of FOLDING in design craft. Investigating into this subject I found that I really enjoyed looking at the folds in paper architecture and general architecture. I am very inspired by it in my design ideas and I wanted to explore further into it. During my research of this project I found that geometry in Architecture is something that I'm inspired to develop.

 This is what I did. First of all I started to play around with simple shapes and joined them together sketching and creating angular geometric objects. I had experimented with a number of materials like, Paper, Card, Foam board and clay. Foam board and card were used in the end as they were easy materials to assemble my piece and I wanted my outcome to look like an architecture model. The chosen variation was then produce on a programme called Google Sketch up (Simple and Free CAD programme), several drafts and measurements were then carried. Scale was a key area in the design process and as I was to create my final outcome by hand they needed to be precise to produce an efficient size model. The scaling was worked out and drew onto the Card and Foam board, cut out and assemble over a number of days. I had produce of 20 different models during this project both physical and computer aided. My outcome was a success and I'm looking forward to producing more designs based around Architecture. I was awarded Distinctions for every unit in this project and it was my most successful piece. 





No comments:

Post a Comment