Wednesday 27 November 2013

Concept

The initial concept behind my sculpture was to get across that the world around us is developing. Not just in the built environment but our everyday life, as the built environment is what we see and live around each day. I have chosen to locate my design at the John Lennon art and design building (Liverpool John Moores University Campus) as aspiring Designers are constantly in and out of the building. The subjects studied at this department are: Architecture, Spatial Design, Product Design, Fine Art, Graphic Design, History of Art, Fashion and Popular music studies. I want to provoke thoughts with Product and Architectural designers through the aspects of my sculpture as their form changes throughout. I have used the form of buildings in my design as an example to convey the meaning. My design conveys how over use of materials does not lead to a beautiful, elegant or sustainable outcome. In my sculpture, the features that are lower than others don't look functional or beautiful, BUT as the pieces of the sculpture grow they become more futuristic and sustainable by removing unnecessary features and weight (thus material usage and land consumption is less making it more sustainable).  I have used buildings only as an example of potential aesthetic and sustainable developments that could be applied to the world we live in, but the concept represents more than that and is relevant to applied creativity in the broadest sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment